the republic logo

Ukraine says rebel attacks continue, impeding peace process

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

MOSCOW — A Ukrainian security official said Sunday that attacks by Russia-backed rebel fighters are continuing despite a cease-fire called for by both sides more than two weeks ago.

Col. Andriy Lysenko, a spokesman for Ukraine's national security council, said two Ukrainian servicemen and about 40 rebels had died in clashes over the past day. He said the fighters fired on Ukrainian positions at 22 locations and that they fired artillery at the airport in Donetsk, the largest rebel-held city.

The city council of Mariupol, a strategically vital city on the coast of the Sea of Azov, said sporadic shelling of points on its outskirts took place during the night and into Sunday daytime. There were no immediate reports of injuries there.

PHOTO: A firefighter observes a damaged office building after shelling in the town of Donetsk, eastern Ukraine, Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014. Sporadic artillery fire hit parts of eastern Ukraine on Saturday, hours after negotiators agreed to create a buffer zone between government troops and pro-Russian militants by halting their advances, pulling back heavy weapons and withdrawing foreign fighters. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic)
A firefighter observes a damaged office building after shelling in the town of Donetsk, eastern Ukraine, Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014. Sporadic artillery fire hit parts of eastern Ukraine on Saturday, hours after negotiators agreed to create a buffer zone between government troops and pro-Russian militants by halting their advances, pulling back heavy weapons and withdrawing foreign fighters. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic)

A cease-fire was called on Sept. 5 but has been violated repeatedly. Negotiators from Ukraine, Russia, the rebels and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe last week tried to further the peace process with an agreement calling for both sides to halt their advances and for pulling back heavy artillery in order to create a buffer zone.

But Lysenko said the cease-fire violations are obstructing fulfillment of the buffer zone plan. "The first point (the cease-fire) is not being fulfilled so far, so we're not talking about the other points," he said.

Along with pulling back the heavy weapons, the plan also calls for the withdrawal of foreign fighters and for all military flights over the combat area to be banned.

More than 3,000 people have died in the conflict that has been raging since mid-April. Ukraine and Western countries claim Russia is providing equipment and support to the rebels and that Russia has sent in troops of its own; Moscow consistently denies this.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


Photo Gallery:
PHOTO: A man walks past a damaged home after shelling in the town of Donetsk, eastern Ukraine, Sunday, Sept. 21, 2014. Sporadic artillery fire hit parts of eastern Ukraine on Saturday, hours after negotiators agreed to create a buffer zone between government troops and pro-Russian militants by halting their advances, pulling back heavy weapons and withdrawing foreign fighters. (AP Photo/Darko Vojinovic)
Click to view (2 Photos)
We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.