the republic logo

'Fifty Shades of Grey' director Sam Taylor-Johnson bows out of franchise

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

LOS ANGELES — Sam Taylor-Johnson will not be returning to direct the sequels to "Fifty Shades of Grey," she announced Wednesday night.

"Directing 'Fifty Shades of Grey' has been an intense and incredible journey for which I am hugely grateful," she said in a statement to industry site Deadline in which she thanked Universal Pictures.

Taylor-Johnson's $40 million adaptation of author E L James' erotic novel has grossed a staggering $558 million worldwide in just six weeks in theaters, but even before the film debuted, rumors circulated that she would not likely be the person ushering "Fifty Shades Darker" and "Fifty Shades Freed" to the big screen.

Stars Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan are expected to return for both sequels, which have yet to be officially announced.

PHOTO: FILE - In this Feb. 6, 2015 file photo, director Sam Taylor-Johnson, left, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson attend a special fan screening of "Fifty Shades of Grey" hosted by The Today Show at the Ziegfeld Theatre, in New York. Sam Taylor-Johnson will not be returning to direct the sequels to “Fifty Shades of Grey,” she announced Wednesday night, March 25, 2015. “Directing 'Fifty Shades of Grey' has been an intense and incredible journey for which I am hugely grateful,” she said in a statement to industry site Deadline in which she thanked Universal Pictures. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP, File)
FILE - In this Feb. 6, 2015 file photo, director Sam Taylor-Johnson, left, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson attend a special fan screening of "Fifty Shades of Grey" hosted by The Today Show at the Ziegfeld Theatre, in New York. Sam Taylor-Johnson will not be returning to direct the sequels to “Fifty Shades of Grey,” she announced Wednesday night, March 25, 2015. “Directing 'Fifty Shades of Grey' has been an intense and incredible journey for which I am hugely grateful,” she said in a statement to industry site Deadline in which she thanked Universal Pictures. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP, File)

While it is nothing new for directors to exit franchises after the first film — "Twilight," ''The Hunger Games," and "Divergent" all made directing changes between their first and second installments — Taylor-Johnson and James' fraught on-set relationship was widely reported.

Earlier this year, James, also a producer on the film, alluded to their conflicts, telling The Associated Press that she "had to fight for a lot of things really hard," which included a disagreement over the last line of the film.

Still, in her statement, Taylor-Johnson made sure to note the "close and lasting relationships" she formed with the cast, producers, crew and "most especially, with Dakota and Jamie."

She added: "I wish nothing but success to whosoever takes on the exciting challenges of films two and three."

A representative for Universal Pictures had no comment.

Get all your favorite Movies news by following our Movies feed on Twitter! Click Here!

 

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.