the republic logo

Investigators: Southern New Jersey house fire that killed woman was an accident

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

BRICK TOWNSHIP, New Jersey — Investigators say a southern New Jersey house fire that killed a woman last weekend was an accident.

Ocean County authorities say firefighters found the body of 66-year-old Grace Merkel early Saturday, after they extinguished the blaze at her Brick home.

Investigators determined that the fire started in the master bedroom, adding that a failure of "energized electrical equipment" helped spark the blaze.

Merkel lived alone in the single-story home on Dock Road, and no other injuries were reported in the fire.

An autopsy determined that the burn injuries Merkel received were consistent with the fire and that there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

Story copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.