the republic logo

Demolition work of nonprofit Detroit Blight Authority being consolidated into city-run efforts

Share/Save/Bookmark

DETROIT — Officials say demolition work of the nonprofit Detroit Blight Authority is being consolidated under city-run efforts to tear down dangerous buildings.

Columnist Nolan Finley with The Detroit News reports (http://bit.ly/1j66u6S ) Thursday that Alexis Wiley, a spokeswoman for Mayor Mike Duggan, says the administration is still "open to working with other people." She says, however, that "now there is one plan."

The Blight Authority was announced last year and was headed by Bill Pulte, grandson of homebuilder PulteGroup Inc.'s founder. Pulte said earlier this month he was ending demolition work in the city and turning over effort in Detroit's Brightmoor neighborhood to the city.

The Blight Authority in January announced the Brightmoor work.

The city Detroit has struggled for years with vacant homes and buildings, and thousands have been razed.


Information from: The Detroit News, http://detnews.com/

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

Story copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.