MARTINEZ, California — A Contra Costa County inquest jury says that the death of a suspect at the county jail less than three hours after he struggled with deputies last fall was accidental.
The Contra Costa Times (http://bit.ly/ZQdo7A ) reports the determination came after testimony Friday into the death of Donald Ray McCullough in October.
The 58-year-old McCullough died less than three hours after he struggled with jail deputies and was shocked with a stun gun.
A forensic pathologist testified Friday that McCullough's death was related to what was termed "acute methamphetamine intoxication."
But an attorney for McCullough's family, Ben Nisenbaum, says he has filed a wrongful death claim with Contra Costa County and plans to sue in federal court.
McCullough had been taken to the jail on Oct. 30 after being arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit burglary and possession of a stolen firearm.
Information from: Contra Costa Times, http://www.contracostatimes.com