the republic logo

Yankton business fire tied to static electricity and solvent being used to clean paint gun

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

YANKTON, South Dakota — Investigators believe a fire at an aluminum products business in Yankton started when static electricity ignited a solvent being used to clean a paint gun.

The Monday afternoon fire prompted the evacuation of Sapa Extrusions. No one was hurt.

Plant Manager Kevin Perakslis tells the Daily Press & Dakotan (http://bit.ly/1SNmyC7 ) that a damage estimate isn't available, but the fire was contained to a small area and will not have a significant impact on operations.

Deputy Fire Chief Larry Nickles says the fire department had to discard about $20,000 in equipment that became coated in paint while firefighters were dousing the flames.


Information from: Yankton Press and Dakotan, http://www.yankton.net/

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.