BALTIMORE — The family of a man shot and killed by an undercover Baltimore police officer in 2009 has settled a lawsuit against the city for $100,000.
The Daily Record of Baltimore (http://bit.ly/16Iry1Y ) reports the Board of Estimates approved the settlement Wednesday.
The family of 30-year-old Shawn C. Cannady had alleged that an officer approached his car on the night of March 6, 2009 in northwest Baltimore and shot him without warning or provocation. The shooting drew additional scrutiny because the officer who shot Cannady, Detective Jemell Rayam, was involved in three shootings in 18 months.
The city said Cannady's shooting was justified. Officials said Rayam had earlier seen Rayam with his hands in his waistband area and that Cannady accelerated his car in the direction of the officers.