the republic logo

Philippine storm blows away, sparing country of Haiyan-like death and destruction

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

SAN JUAN, Philippines — A storm that began as a frighteningly powerful typhoon started to blow away from the Philippines Tuesday after leaving at least 21 people dead and forcing more than 1.6 million into shelters.

Typhoon Hagupit dissipated into a tropical depression after crossing Lubang Island, 135 kilometers (85 miles) southwest of Manila, and was blowing into the South China Sea, forecasters said.

Batangas, the last major province lashed by Hagupit (pronounced HA'-goo-pit) overnight, has so far not reported any casualties or major damage, echoing similar assessments from many central Philippines provinces spared of major losses.

"With God's grace, there are zero casualties and no injuries because we were able to prepare," said Mayor Rodolfo Manalo of Batangas' idyllic San Juan town, a flood-prone coastal community popular for its beach resorts, where more than 2,800 villagers fled to a public gymnasium and other shelters before the storm slammed ashore.

After assessing the typhoon aftermath, President Benigno Aquino III reversed a decision not to attend a meeting of the leaders of the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations and South Korea in Busan city later this week.

PHOTO: Residents stay at an evacuation center as Typhoon Hagupit hits San Juan town, Batangas province, eastern Philippines on Monday, Dec. 8, 2014. Typhoon Hagupit weakened into a storm Monday after it left at least three people dead and sent more than a million others into shelters, sparing the central Philippines the massive devastation that a monster storm inflicted on the region last year. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)
Residents stay at an evacuation center as Typhoon Hagupit hits San Juan town, Batangas province, eastern Philippines on Monday, Dec. 8, 2014. Typhoon Hagupit weakened into a storm Monday after it left at least three people dead and sent more than a million others into shelters, sparing the central Philippines the massive devastation that a monster storm inflicted on the region last year. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila)

Many of the archipelago's central provinces are still reeling from last year's monster Typhoon Haiyan, which left more than 7,300 people dead or missing and a massive trail of destruction, fueling worries about Hagupit as it approached from the Pacific with menacing gusts of 250 kph (155 mph) last week.

More than a million people fled from villages in the path of Hagupit — Filipino for "smash" or "lash" — into government emergency shelters.

In southern Basilan province, Philippine navy vessels including a patrol gunboat rushed to an island where 18 Chinese fishing boats manned by 250 crewmen dropped anchor, said Capt. Giovanni Carlo Bacordo, head of a navy unit in the area. An inter-agency team inspected the boats, found the fishermen's papers in order and no illegal items. The team accepted the fishermen's explanation that they sought shelter from the typhoon while en route from Indonesia to China.

Hagupit left at least 21 people dead, many of whom drowned in Eastern Samar province, where the typhoon made its first landfall, according to the Philippine Red Cross. The government disaster-response agency has reported only 11 deaths, saying it is still verifying other reported casualties.

Although Hagupit blew in from the Pacific with enormous force, seasonal cold winds blowing down from China deprived it of the warm and humid seas from which it draws power. The typhoon, the 18th to batter the disaster-prone country this year, slowly fizzled out.


Associated Press writers Oliver Teves and Jim Gomez in Manila contributed to this report.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


Video:
PHOTO: Typhoon Hagupit weakened into a tropical storm Monday, leaving at least 21 people dead in the Philippines and forcing more than a million people into shelters. Streets are under water in the country's central provinces. (Dec. 8)
Typhoon Hagupit weakened into a tropical storm Monday, leaving at least 21 people dead in the Philippines and forcing more than a million people into shelters. Streets are under water in the country's central provinces. (Dec. 8) PHOTO: Makeshift homes were damaged in the city of Tacloban on Sunday as Typhoon Hagupit continued slamming into the central Philippines' east coast, forcing evacuees to gather in shelters. (Dec. 7)
Makeshift homes were damaged in the city of Tacloban on Sunday as Typhoon Hagupit continued slamming into the central Philippines' east coast, forcing evacuees to gather in shelters. (Dec. 7) PHOTO: Typhoon Hagupit has slammed into the eastern Philippines, where more than 650,000 people have fled to safety. (Dec. 6)
Typhoon Hagupit has slammed into the eastern Philippines, where more than 650,000 people have fled to safety. (Dec. 6) PHOTO: Filipinos evacuated their homes on Friday in Surigao Del Norte ahead of Typhoon Hagupit, which was expected to hit the central Philippines late on Saturday. (Dec. 5)
Filipinos evacuated their homes on Friday in Surigao Del Norte ahead of Typhoon Hagupit, which was expected to hit the central Philippines late on Saturday. (Dec. 5)
Photo Gallery:
PHOTO: Residents rest Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2014 in an evacuation center at suburban Quezon city northeast of Manila, Philippines after fleeing their homes in anticipation of typhoon Hagupit which was forecast to have hit Manila overnight after lashing central Philippines Sunday. A storm that began as a frighteningly powerful typhoon started to blow away from the Philippines Tuesday, after leaving at least 21 people dead and forcing more than a million into shelters. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)
Click to view (25 Photos)

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.