the republic logo

3 hurt in explosion in Tewksbury home that may have been caused by butane vapors

Share/Save/Bookmark

TEWKSBURY, Massachusetts — Authorities say an explosion at a Tewksbury home that sent two men and a woman to Boston hospitals with serious burns appears to be drug related.

Fire Chief Michael Hazel says the explosion that blew out windows at about 9:15 p.m. Tuesday may have been caused by a buildup of vapors from butane used in a marijuana THC extraction process.

He said Wednesday the process was performed near an electric stove and the vapors came into contact with an ignition source.

Full and empty butane cylinders were found at the scene.

Police are looking for two people who may have fled the home just before the explosion.

Chief Timothy Sheehan tells The Sun (http://bit.ly/P09vxD ) the victims had burns to their head, hands and face. No names were released.

Hazel estimated damage at $200,000.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

Story copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.