the republic logo

Suspect in 1989 killing of homeless man returned to Oregon for trial

Share/Save/Bookmark

PORTLAND, Oregon — A convicted murderer has been extradited to Oregon, where he will face charges that he killed a transient 25 years ago.

The Portland Police Bureau says 59-year-old Roberto Garcia-Lopez was booked Wednesday into the Multnomah County Jail. The bureau says the body of the homeless man was found near the Willamette River in November 1989.

The killing went unsolved for more than two decades before cold case detectives and the Oregon State Police crime lab reviewed the evidence in 2010. Police say DNA linked Garcia-Lopez to the crime.

At roughly the same time, Utah authorities identified him as the suspect in a November 1989 murder from that state. Garcia-Lopez, also known as Jose Ortiz-Garcia, pleaded guilty last year in Salt Lake City and was sentenced to life in prison.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

Story copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.