BARCELONA, Spain — Barcelona extended coach Luis Enrique's contract through to the end of the 2016-17 season on Tuesday after his team completed a trophy treble.
Club president Jose Maria Bartomeu announced Enrique would be staying for at least two more seasons in a televised address.
The move came three days after Enrique completed his first season in charge by winning the Champions League. He also won the Spanish league title and the Copa del Rey in a treble which the club had achieved once before, in 2009, under Pep Guardiola.
"We continue to support a model of success," Bartomeu said after a meeting with the club's board of directors.
Enrique, who immediately after lifting the Champions League trophy told reporters in Berlin he did not know if he would remain at the club, said he was thrilled about the future.
"I am delighted," Enrique said. "After a year like the one we've just lived through, with its difficulties but also with a great end result, I'm more than excited and hope to win more titles."
The president also said the club had set aside resources "to bring in the world's best players — those who everyone wants to sign."
He did not specify which players the club would target in 2016. Barcelona cannot bring in new players this year because of a ban imposed for breaching FIFA's rules on the transfer of players aged under 18.
Bartomeu stood down from the club's presidency after his television speech, allowing for fresh elections.
The club also said it had signed former Barcelona youth player Alexei Vidal who had been at Sevilla.
"Apart from the day my daughter was born, this is the most special day of my life" the right winger said.
The 25-year-old Vidal is on a five-year deal, but will not be able to play for the club until January 2016.
Bartomeu wound up his address by saying Barcelona had "closed one era of success" and was opening another which he said would have "the same winning mentality, and which will last just as long."