the republic logo

Daniel Murphy says New York Mets haven't approached him about long-term deal

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

PORT ST. LUCIE, Florida — All-Star second baseman Daniel Murphy said the New York Mets have not approached him about a long-term contract.

The 29-year-old agreed last month to an $8 million, one-year contract. He is eligible for free agency after the World Series.

"No extension talks right now," Murphy said Thursday before the Mets' first full-squad workout. "If that comes up, we'll kind of cross that bridge when we get there. But as of right now, I'm a Met for this year, for sure. I would love to be here in the future, but that is way in the distant future. I have too much anxiety today to worry about what happens in November."

Murphy made his first All-Star appearance last year, when he led the Mets in batting average (.289), hits (172), doubles (37) and runs (79).

Dilson Herrera, a 20-year-old prospect who made his major league debut with the Mets in August, is a possible second baseman of the future for New York.

"Some of the stuff, the organization has a direction," Murphy said. "Just because I'm not locked up to a multi-year extension doesn't mean I'm not a part of that direction right now. I am a part of what's happening right now in 2015, which is exciting and which is what myself and the organization and everybody in that locker room is more concerned with."

Murphy said he would be open to signing a new deal during the season but said he wouldn't be answering any more questions about it until potential contact talks "were to heat up." He's asked his agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, not to talk with him about a deal unless there is an offer that merits consideration.

"I guess as agents, we pay them to look forward," Murphy said. "I try not to do that because it's a tough league. I don't want to be looking at November when were in April. So I think we came to an understanding that if they felt like they got something that was serious, they would bring it to me. But until that point, I've told them I really don't want to talk about free agency."

NOTES: Matt Harvey is to make his spring training debut on March 6 against Detroit Tigers at Tradition Field, Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz announced Thursday. Harvey last pitched in a game August 24, 2013. He missed all of last season following elbow ligament-replacement surgery. He is to throw batting practice Friday, his first time facing batters since the surgery. ... Dillon Gee is to start the exhibition opener on March 4 against Atlanta, followed by Bartolo Colon on March 5 against Washington. Jacob deGrom starts March 7 in the home split-squad game. ... Mets closer Bobby Parnell threw batting practice, his first time facing hitters since elbow-ligament replacement surgery last April. Parnell will start the season on the DL. . 1B Lucas Duda (left intercostal strain) will not swing a bat for "at least a week," Collins said. . Mets hitters did not swing during batting practice against ptichers Thursday. Collins wants hitters to track pitches for the first few days before taking swings. . Collins said Thursday, the Mets first full-squad workout, was the most important day of the year for him because he set his policies and expectations.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.