the republic logo

3 Bloomington teens suspected in death of homeless man who died after beating in park

Share/Save/Bookmark

BLOOMINGTON, Illinois — Three Bloomington teenagers are accused of killing a homeless man who died last week after a June beating.

According to The Pantagraph (http://bit.ly/1jnbcDZ ), charges have not yet been filed against the three in the July 3 death of 56-year-old Ronald D. Smith. But State's Attorney Jason Chambers said Tuesday that he expected to file charges within a couple of days.

Two of the accused are 18 and the third is 19. All three are in jail.

Police say Smith was found injured following a beating in a local park on June 2.

Authorities say Smith died at a hospital of what an autopsy found was bacterial peritonitis resulting from an abdominal wound from the beating.

Smith's family said he was homeless and had been unemployed for two decades.


Information from: The Pantagraph, http://www.pantagraph.com

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

Story copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Subjects:

Places:

 

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.