the republic logo

Authorities: Dozen residents displaced by fire in Westchester County sparked by candle

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

MOUNT VERNON, New York — A dozen Westchester County residents have been displaced by a fire that authorities say was sparked by a candle.

The Monday afternoon blaze broke out at 13 South 12th Avenue in Mount Vernon and spread next door to No. 15.

Families at No. 15 were later able to return to their home but two families in the other building had to be relocated.

Fire Chief Edward Steven told the Journal News (http://lohud.us/16OaQRe ) that the blaze started on the second floor after a candle fell on clothes.

Three dogs were rescued from the first floor but firefighters were unable to get to three other dogs on the second floor.

One firefighter suffered an injury to his hand.

The Red Cross was helping the displaced families find emergency housing.


Information from: The Journal News, http://www.lohud.com

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Subjects:

Places:

 

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.