UPPER ARLINGTON, Ohio — Ohio's utility regulator says a March explosion that destroyed a house in suburban Columbus was due to a city employee inadvertently turning on an abandoned and mismarked gas line.
The Ohio Public Utilities Commission said Friday that Columbia Gas was at fault in the March 21 blast that leveled a house in Upper Arlington. No one was home at the time and nobody was hurt.
The report said Columbia Gas had shut off the original service line to the house, capped it but didn't disconnect it from the main line after another line was installed.
A city water company employee at first thought the mismarked gas line was the water line and turned the valve on March 20, allowing gas to fill the house.
The utility said it is cooperating.