the republic logo

Fire in Manhattan manhole produces carbon monoxide, forces building evacuations

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

NEW YORK — Two Manhattan buildings were evacuated after a Con Edison manhole fire that released carbon monoxide.

Firefighters rushed to West 23rd Street in the Chelsea neighborhood Wednesday afternoon to put out the flames.

Fire department officials said carbon monoxide had reached the seven-story apartment building at 225 West 23rd, and an adjoining eight-story condominium.

They did not know when residents and street-level small businesses would be able to return.

There have been hundreds of manhole explosions, fires and other accidents this winter as a result of salt in melting snow.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.