the republic logo

Casper motel owner: Man who died in fire was trespassing in room, sparked blaze with cigarette


CASPER, Wyoming — The owner of a Casper motel that was the site of a deadly fire earlier this month says the man who was killed illegally entered the vacant room and sparked the blaze by smoking on a bare mattress.

Bob Dungan, who owns the Topper Motel, tells The Casper Star-Tribune ( ) that 56-year-old Michael Johnson trespassed in a room that had been vacated earlier that day for renovations. Dungan says the death and damage were not caused by any pre-existing conditions at the motel.

Firefighters arrived Nov. 13 to find smoke billowing from the building, and investigators say the fire alarm did not have a battery in it. Dungan says the room had a functioning smoke alarm that had been tested Oct. 21.

Johnson was homeless and had been living in Casper for some time.

Information from: Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune,

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.

We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)





Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.