the republic logo

Coroner: Man who died 3 days after fire in eastern Pennsylvania home was smoking, using oxygen


ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania — Authorities say an elderly man died three days after a fire at his eastern Pennsylvania home that broke out as he was smoking while using oxygen.

The Lehigh County coroner's office said 74-year-old Charles McEvoy was injured Monday in the blaze at his Stroudsburg residence.

He was flown to Lehigh Valley Hospital, Cedar Crest, where he was pronounced dead Thursday evening.

Coroner Scott Grim said McEvoy died of burn injuries in the fire. Grim ruled the death accidental.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.

We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)


Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.