the republic logo

Friday blaze caused by wood stove chimney destroys Elwood house; occupant escapes unharmed

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

ELWOOD, Iowa — Three fire departments battled a fire that destroyed a rural Elwood house.

The Quad-City Times reports (http://bit.ly/1BwXnuQ ) that the fire was first reported about 1:30 a.m. Friday. Lost Nation Fire Chief Bill Brauer says his firefighters returned to the station about five hours later.

Brauer says the lone occupant of the home escaped without injury. The American Red Cross is assisting that person.

Maquoketa and Delmar fire departments were called to help around 2 a.m., using water tanks to fight the blaze. Brauer says a wood stove chimney was the cause of the fire.


Information from: Quad-City Times, http://www.qctimes.com

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.