the republic logo

Residents of an eight-unit apartment building in Sioux Falls are getting help from the Red Cross after being displaced by a fire

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota — Residents of an eight-unit apartment building in Sioux Falls are getting help from the Red Cross after being displaced by a fire.

Firefighters responded to the two-story building about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday after a resident reported a mattress on fire. They had the fire under control in a matter of minutes, but the building filled with smoke.

One resident was seen by paramedics at the scene and then took private transportation to a hospital with unknown injuries. The Red Cross says a cat died in the fire.

There was no immediate word on the cause of the fire. The Red Cross says two apartments are damaged, but residents of the remaining six will be allowed to return once electricity and gas have been restored to the building.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2016 The Republic, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.