the republic logo

Nashua man dies from burns after trying to light cigarette on gas stove

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

NASHUA, New Hampshire — A Nashua man who was trying to light a cigarette on a gas stove has died from severe burns.

Authorities say 75-year-old William Holland was trying to light his cigarette in the kitchen of his home early Monday morning when his clothing caught on fire.

When firefighters arrived on the scene they saw smoke coming from the home, and then discovered flames in the kitchen.

They quickly extinguished the fire and found Holland's body on the kitchen floor. They also found a woman in a bedroom. She was taken to a hospital and treated for smoke inhalation. She's expected to be OK. Authorities have not released her name.

They're calling Holland's death accidental.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.