DETROIT — Gov. Rick Snyder says the state-appointed emergency manager for Detroit's public schools has decided to postpone his plans to step down by up to six months.
Former General Motors executive Roy Roberts had announced earlier this month that he would leave when his contract expired Thursday. Snyder said in a statement Wednesday that the decision to stay underscores Roberts' commitment to students, families and teachers.
Roberts has guided the academically and financially struggling district since 2011. Both areas have shown improvement.
Detroit's schools have been under state oversight since 2009. The district has lost more than 100,000 students and millions of dollars in per-pupil funding since 2000.
Last year, some of the district's worst performing schools were transferred into a new, separately operated school system.