the republic logo

UN: 500,000 displaced by recent militia attacks in Congo's mineral-rich southeast

Share/Save/Bookmark

KINSHASA, Congo — The United Nations says more than half a million people have now been displaced by violence in southeastern Congo.

Yvon Edoumou, the spokesman for the U.N. humanitarian agency in Congo, said Wednesday that represents an increase of some 100,000 more people from earlier this year.

People have fled their homes in Katanga province following attacks by an armed group known as the Mai Mai Bakata-Katanga. Military operations targeting the fighters also have caused civilians to flee.

The fighters are seeking independence for Katanga province, a mineral-rich area of southeastern Congo that had been more stable than neighboring provinces in the east.

Catholic bishops in the province have requested more peacekeepers be deployed to Katanga to combat mounting insecurity.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

Story copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.