SHELBY, North Carolina — A study commission has issued recommendations on how to make the Cleveland County Fair safer after an E.coil outbreak last year resulted in 106 cases, including the death of a 2-year-old.
The Cleveland County Fair Study Commission on Monday suggested such measures as motor sensor, hands-free paper towel and soap dispensers in all restrooms. The 17-member panel also suggested larger flashing signs at animal exhibit exits where hand-washing stations are located.
North Carolina health officials said a petting zoo was at the center of the outbreak, and rainy weather helped spread the bacteria to areas away from the animals.
Cleveland County Fairgrounds Manager Calvin Hastings said there may not be a petting zoo this fall. The fair association waited to solicit applications for petting zoos until the findings were announced.