the republic logo

Lawsuit: US Probation Office failed to monitor NY child pornography suspect, leading to rape, killing

Share/Save/Bookmark

SYRACUSE, New York — A New York girl raped by a man released from jail while awaiting a child pornography trial is suing the federal government for $110 million.

A lawyer representing David Renz's victim says in court papers the U.S. Probation Office failed to follow its own policies for monitoring a criminal defendant released with an electronic ankle bracelet in the months before the March 2013 attack. The lawsuit says that allowed Renz to rape the 10-year-old suburban Syracuse girl and kill her mother.

The lawsuit was filed Friday in the name of Sheila Ben, the girl's court-appointed guardian.

Renz pleaded guilty to murder and rape and awaits sentencing. He was sentenced last month to 30 years in prison on the child pornography charges.

The chief probation officer in Syracuse has declined to comment.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

Story copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.