COVINGTON, Kentucky — A former drug task force director in northern Kentucky has pleaded guilty to a federal theft charge.
Tim Fegan resigned as director of the federally funded Buffalo Trace/Gateway Area Narcotics Task Force in 2012 after financial irregularities were discovered. He was indicted last year on three counts of receiving "more than $10,000 of federal funds in a 12 month period, embezzled, stole, obtained by fraud, otherwise without authority knowingly converted to the use of a person other than the rightful owner, and intentionally misapplied property valued cumulatively at $5,000 or more and owned by and under the care, custody, and control of the Buffalo Trace/Gateway Area Narcotics Task Force..."
The Ledger Independent (http://bit.ly/NnKLz0) reports he pleaded guilty to a single count of stealing government funds.
U.S. Attorney Kerry B. Harvey and FBI Special Agent Perrye Turner announced the plea on Friday after Fegan appeared in U.S. District Court in Covington.
They said the task force received $150,000 said between November 2011 and November 2012, and Fegan admitted stealing part of that money.
Sentencing was set for June 19. The newspaper reports the court will determine at the hearing how much Fegan took from the task force.
The agency, based in Maysville, was organized by several county and city governments and investigated drug crimes in various northern and eastern Kentucky counties. It ceased operations last year.
Information from: The Ledger Independent, http://www.maysville-online.com