the republic logo

Kuwait says 2 sentenced to death in case of militant group allegedly linked to Iran, Hezbollah

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

KUWAIT CITY — Kuwait says a court has sentenced two people to death in a case involving a militant group that authorities previously said had "furtive contacts" with Iran and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah.

The state-run Kuwait News Agency reported Tuesday that another of the 26 prisoners received a life sentence. Others received sentences of between five and 15 years in prison, while one received a $16,500 fine and another was acquitted.

Officials previously said 25 of those charged were Kuwaitis, while one was an Iranian. They were charged in September after authorities said they seized weapons and bomb-making material.

Kuwait has a Shiite and Sunni population that lives together largely in peace. The sentences come amid tensions between Sunni-ruled Saudi Arabia and Shiite power Iran.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2016 The Republic, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.