the republic logo

Officials say smoking was the cause of a fatal fire in North Andover over the weekend that left one person dead

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

NORTH ANDOVER, Massachusetts — Officials say smoking was the cause of a fatal fire in North Andover over the weekend that left one person dead.

Acting State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey and North Andover Fire Chief Andrew Melnikas said Monday officials determined the cause of the blaze Saturday afternoon was the improper use or disposal of smoking materials.

They say the fire originated on the living room couch and the victim's clothing.

A 62-year-old woman who lived in a second-floor unit died. Her name has not been made public.

There were no working smoke alarms in the apartment.

Authorities say an elderly couple safely escaped the fire.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2016 The Republic, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.