the republic logo

Webster police shoot, kill armed man during domestic disturbance after he fires on them


WEBSTER, Massachusetts — Webster police officers responding to a domestic disturbance fatally shot a man early Friday who fired on them first with a shotgun, Worcester District Attorney Joseph Early Jr. said.

Neil Seifert, 40, of Charlton, fired two rounds from the double-barreled 12-gauge shotgun just before 1 a.m., narrowly missing the officers.

The officers returned fire after Seifert ignored warnings to drop his weapon.

He was pronounced dead at the hospital at about 1:45 a.m.

Two officers have been placed on administrative leave, per protocol. Their names were not made public.

The chain of events started at about 10 p.m. Thursday when police responded to a Main Street address after a woman called 911 and said she had been attacked by Seifert and he had taken her car, Early said.

Seifert, who has an extensive record, and the woman had a long-term on-and-off relationship and she had taken out restraining orders out against him, the district attorney said.

Seifert returned to his Charlton home and took a shotgun after a struggle with his stepfather.

He was spotted by state police on Interstate 395 in Webster, but refused to pull over. That's when he returned to the woman's home in Webster, in south-central Massachusetts on the border with Connecticut.

The death remains under investigation.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.

We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)


Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.