BURLINGTON, Vermont — The Vermont Health Department says the eastern equine encephalitis virus has been found in mosquitoes collected from a pool in the town of Swanton and officials are urging the public to take care to avoid mosquito bites.
State Epidemiologist Patsy Kelso says now is the time of year with the highest risk for human EEE infections. She says the virus was found in samples collected Sept. 14, the first positive samples collected this year.
The potentially fatal EEE can be spread to humans and some animals through the bites of infected mosquitoes. No human or animal cases have been reported so far this year.
Officials urge people to avoid being outside from dusk to dawn when mosquitoes are most active, wear long-sleeves and pants and use insect repellant.