the republic logo

Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart says Major League Baseball reviewing his Twitter account

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

JUPITER, Florida — Miami Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart said Major League Baseball is reviewing his deleted Twitter account as part of an investigation into gambling-related tweets posted there and he is cooperating with the investigation.

"Obviously, I was caught off guard by the whole situation," Cosart said Thursday. "All I'm really saying to everyone is I'm following the MLB protocol and just talking with MLB security, and they are taking care of the rest."

The 24-year-old Cosart deleted his Twitter account Tuesday after screen shots of comments he purportedly made appeared on the website of Miami New Times.

MLB rules prohibit players and other employees from betting on baseball games. A player who bets on a game not involving his team faces a one-year suspension and a player who bets on or against his own team faces a lifetime ban. The commissioner, at his discretion, can discipline a player for placing other types of bets with an illegal bookmaker.

Marlins President of Baseball Operations Michael Hill said the club first learned about the tweets from media.

PHOTO: FILE - This is a 2015, file photo showing Jarred Cosart of the Miami Marlins baseball team. Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart says Major League Baseball is reviewing his deleted Twitter account as part of an investigation into gambling-related tweets posted there and he is cooperating with the investigation. The 24-year-old Cosart deleted his Twitter account Tuesday, March 24, 2015, after screen shots of comments he purportedly made appeared on the website of Miami New Times. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)
FILE - This is a 2015, file photo showing Jarred Cosart of the Miami Marlins baseball team. Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart says Major League Baseball is reviewing his deleted Twitter account as part of an investigation into gambling-related tweets posted there and he is cooperating with the investigation. The 24-year-old Cosart deleted his Twitter account Tuesday, March 24, 2015, after screen shots of comments he purportedly made appeared on the website of Miami New Times. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)

"We're fully aware of the investigation," Hill said. "We are cooperating with Major League Baseball, and until it comes to a conclusion, we'll have no further comment."

Cosart deleted his Twitter account following the initial Miami New Times report.

"Anything else that happened after that is not me," he said. "My other one is completely deleted and being looked at by Major League Baseball, and all of the new ones, that's not me."

He said MLB is reviewing other accounts claiming to be his.

Cosart had been scheduled to pitch Friday against Houston, but the right-hander was scratched because of a blister on the middle finger of his pitching hand. Hill said skipping Cosart's turn is "completely unrelated" to the MLB investigation.

"We're going to push back his start and get his blister under control," Hill said.

Cosart was 4-4 with a 2.39 ERA in 10 starts last year for the Marlins, who acquired him from Houston on July 31. He is 0-2 with an 8.49 ERA in four spring training starts over 11 2-3 innings.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.