the republic logo

Prosecutors clear Custer County deputies of wrongdoing in fatal shooting of teenager

Share/Save/Bookmark

CLINTON, Oklahoma — Prosecutors say no charges will be filed against two Custer County deputies who fatally shot an 18-year-old man last year.

District Attorney Dennis Smith says the two deputies were justified in the deadly shooting of Mah-hi-vist Goodblanket. Deputies were called by Goodblanket's parents to his home on Dec. 21 because he was breaking windows and doors. Deputies say they opened fire after the teen attacked them with a knife.

An autopsy found that Goodblanket had been shot seven times.

Custer County Sheriff Bruce Peoples say both deputies have returned to work. The sheriff says one of the deputies shot his own hand during the scuffle, which required the amputation of a finger.

The teen's parents tell The Oklahoman (http://bit.ly/1iiDms8 ) that they're disheartened with the decision.


Information from: The Oklahoman, http://www.newsok.com

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

All comments are moderated before posting. Your email address must be verified with Disqus in order for your comment to appear.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

Story copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.