the republic logo

Study says Nevada smart meters that burst into flame comply with fire safety standards

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

RENO, Nevada — NV Energy is using safe smart meters according to a study commissioned by the Public Utilities Commission after fire officials raised concerns that the devices were flaming up.

The Reno Gazette-Journal reports (http://on.rgj.com/1Qjof5u) Underwriters Laboratory subjected 72 smart meters to a variety of fire safety tests, and they all passed.

Reports of "consumed meters" left devices melted and walls scorched, but NV Energy hasn't been able to figure out what causes the flames. The utility commission's investigation remains open.


Information from: Reno Gazette-Journal, http://www.rgj.com

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.