the republic logo

1 dead, 1 hospitalized after breathing carbon monoxide in running car, Iowa authorities say

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

DELHI, Iowa — An 18-year-old man found unresponsive in a running car in eastern Iowa has died.

The Delaware County Sheriff's Office say Cole Haan died Monday morning after he and 17-year-old Nichole Lucas breathed in carbon monoxide from the car. Deputies found the pair in the car near Maquoketa Valley High School in Delhi on Saturday night.

KCRG-TV reports (http://bit.ly/1IXFa8V ) the car had been running for about an hour when authorities found the teens. They were transported to the Regional Medical Center in Maquoketa before being airlifted to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

Investigators say the vehicle's exhaust pipe was broken, allowing fumes to enter the vehicle.

The sheriff's office says Lucas remains at the Iowa City hospital, where her condition is said to be improving.


Information from: KCRG-TV, http://www.kcrg.com

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Places:

 

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.