the republic logo

Saudi Arabia's Interior Ministry says Islamic State group behind killing of 2 policemen

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — Two Saudi men operating under orders from members of the extremist Islamic State group in Syria are suspected of being behind the killing of two policemen in the capital Riyadh, the kingdom's Interior Ministry said Friday.

The April 8 shooting is the fifth attack believed to have been carried out by IS members inside the kingdom. It also brings the total number of civilians and security personnel killed in IS-related violence in Saudi Arabia to 15.

Saudi Arabia is taking part in U.S.-led coalition airstrikes on IS militants in Syria. The group has retaliated with calls for attacks inside the kingdom.

Interior Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Mansour al-Turki told a press conference that one suspect was under arrest and that the second was still at-large.

He said the suspect under arrest sent pictures of the deadly attack to IS group members in Syria and coordinated the attack with them. Al-Turki said IS militants in Syria recruited him through the Internet.

PHOTO: Saudi Interior Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Mansour al-Turki listens to journalists questions during a press conference in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Friday, April 24, 2015. al-Turki said a Saudi man arrested on suspicion of shooting dead two policemen and wounding two others in separate attacks in Riyadh in March and April was acting on instructions from Islamic State militants in Syria. (AP Photo/Hasan Jamali)
Saudi Interior Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Mansour al-Turki listens to journalists questions during a press conference in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Friday, April 24, 2015. al-Turki said a Saudi man arrested on suspicion of shooting dead two policemen and wounding two others in separate attacks in Riyadh in March and April was acting on instructions from Islamic State militants in Syria. (AP Photo/Hasan Jamali)

"It is upon everyone... to protect your son or daughter from such ideas, and to live with them, live among them in their daily lives, monitor them and give them advice," he said. "This is a community responsibility."

The suspect still at-large, named as Nawaf al-Enezi, is believed to be an experienced militant, al-Turki said. The police are offering a 1 million Saudi riyal ($267,000) reward for information that leads to his arrest.

IS group members have previously been blamed for an attack on Saudi border guards near Iraq that killed three security personnel in January and a shooting of Shiite worshippers in al-Ahsa in the Eastern Province in November that killed eight people.

Two police officers died in raids that led to the arrests of suspects behind the al-Ahsa shooting.

Other IS attacks in the kingdom in recent months include the shooting and wounding of a Danish citizen in Riyadh and a separate shooting directed at police in the city that did not lead to deaths, he said.

Al-Turki told The Associated Press that a total of seven IS-linked suspects have been killed by police.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.