the republic logo

Ceiling falls on Chattanooga firefighter who went inside duplex to battle blaze

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee — A Chattanooga firefighter is recovering from head and back injuries after being hurt in a duplex fire.

The firefighter, who was not named, was helping put out a fire in the Glenwood community on Sunday morning.

The department says in a release that the firefighter was inside the duplex when a plaster ceiling fell on top of him, striking him on the head and back. He was taken to Erlanger Medical Center for treatment and was later released.

After the injury, the fire chief pulled all the firefighters out of the structure. The fire was brought under control in about 20 minutes.

A person who lives in the duplex says she saw smoke coming from the kitchen cabinets and ventilation system. None of the residents were hurt.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.