the republic logo

Elderly man, firefighter taken to hospital after Providence fire

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island — An elderly man and a firefighter have been taken to a hospital after a morning fire in Providence.

The fire started around 10 a.m. Friday on the home's porch.

Hugo Ponte, who was passing by at the time, ran into the house to get everyone out. He told WPRI-TV that there were four people inside and he carried at least one woman to safety.

A relative says a cigarette started the fire.

Fire officials say their job was complicated by wind and oxygen tanks inside the house.

The firefighter injured his back. The elderly resident was taken to the hospital to be checked out.

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2014 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.