the republic logo

City of Duluth studying options after federal judge dismisses lawsuit in hotel dispute

bug
Share/Save/Bookmark

DULUTH, Minnesota — A federal judge has dismissed Duluth's lawsuit over the Fond du Lac Band's proposal to use a downtown hotel for its casino operations.

The city is trying to keep the Carter Hotel from becoming part of the reservation. The hotel is next to the Fond-du-Luth Casino.

U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson ruled last week that the city does not have to approve that move.

City Attorney Gunnar Johnson tells WDIO-TV (http://bit.ly/1HZxBNL ) the city is still studying the decision and considering its options.

Johnson said if the hotel becomes part of the reservation, the city loses out on taxes and the ability to control public nuisances on the site.

Fond du Lac Chairwoman Karen Diver said in a statement Tuesday that the band is pleased with the ruling.


Information from: WDIO-TV, http://www.wdio.com

Think your friends should see this? Share it with them!

Story copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Feedback, Corrections and Other Requests: AP welcomes feedback and comments from readers. Send an email to info@ap.org and it will be forwarded to the appropriate editor or reporter.


We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Category:

Follow The Republic:

All content copyright ©2015 The Republic, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Privacy policy.