Woman could get 7-year sentence for impersonation

Sentencing will be later this month for a Columbus woman accused of posing as a registered nurse.
Holly Marie Whyde, 45, formerly of 51 Osage Court, agreed to plead guilty in the case involving federal charges of aggravated identity theft and making false statements relating to health care matters, according to records from a May 19 hearing.
The plea will be heard during the sentencing hearing before Judge Jane Magnus-Stinson
at 10 a.m. June 30 at the U.S. Courthouse in Indianapolis.
Under federal law, Whyde could be ordered to serve up to seven years in prison.
Whyde, who resided in Greenwood and Franklin before coming to Columbus, is believed to have worked at assisted living facilities and home care-giving businesses in south central Indiana, according to Columbus Police Department spokesman Lt. Matt Harris.
In December, Columbus Police Department Detective Chris Couch received a tip involving identity deception regarding a registered nurse in northern Indiana, Harris said.
Couch determined that Whyde used a nurse’s identity to gain employment over a four-year period at several Indiana health care businesses, included two in Columbus, the police spokesman said.
During a two-month investigation, Couch learned Whyde is believed to have worked primarily in an administrative role but also provided some patient care, Harris said.
Federal court records indicate Whyde was prepared to enter a guilty plea as early as March 1, which was less than two weeks after her Feb. 18 arrest.
However, a formal change of plea hearing was delayed as she sought new legal representation, eventually resulting in the hiring of Franklin attorney Brian Newcomb, court records state.
During her first court appearance March 11, Whyde waived her rights to both a detention hearing and a formal arraignment, records state.
Meanwhile, the defendant is scheduled to make an appearance before Bartholomew Superior Court 2 Judge Kathleen “Kitty” Tighe Coriden on a separate matter June 16 at 1:30 p.m.
During eviction proceedings on April 14, Whyde was ordered to pay her former landlord $3,000 in back rent, so the judge is scheduled to determine how payments will be made, local records state.
Whyde also owes the federal government more than $700 in back taxes, federal court records state.