Minor fire damages garage, home

A fire discovered in a home’s garage caused minor damage and likely was the result of a short in electrical wiring, firefighters said.

Columbus Fire Department personnel were called to 221 Weid Court at 4:26 p.m, Friday after a family of six discovered the fire and evacuated the home. Sharese Hill, 32, told firefighters that she was in the garage and noticed smoke coming out of an outlet receptacle, according to a fire department media release.

Columbus Police Department officers arrived first and confirmed fire was within a wall separating the garage and the interior of the home. Firefighters extinguished the fire within two minutes after arriving. No injuries were reported, according to the release.

Hill told firefighters that a space heater was being powered by the outlet. The home sustained about $3,000 in damage by the fire and minor smoke damage. The residence had working smoke alarms but no alarm was located in the garage area, the release stated.

Columbus Police and Columbus Regional Health EMS assisted at the scene.

Author photo
Kirk Johannesen is assistant managing editor of The Republic. He can be reached at johannesen@therepublic.com or (812) 379-5639.