Satellite dish installation leads to gas leak

Staff Reports

Columbus firefighters helped evacuate Quail Run Apartments at about 2:26 p.m. Tuesday after residents reported a natural gas odor.

Vectren Energy began evacuating the complex at 1170 Saylor Drive and was assisted by firefighters, said Capt. Michael Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman.

Lt. Don Richards said firefighters could hear the leaking gas and smell the natural gas odor additive mercaptan when they arrived. However, a gas meter determined levels of the gas inside the complex posed little risk, Wilson said.

Firefighters then learned an unknown individual was attempting to place a satellite dish TV post into the ground when the metal post came into contact with a natural gas line, Wilson said.

The gas company had not been notified that utility locations were marked prior to the installation, Wilson said.

Vectren located the gas leak and made repairs, and by 3:11 p.m., residents were allowed to return to their homes. No injuries were reported.

Columbus firefighters reminded residents to request a utility location visit before digging, Wilson said.