Dealer avoids prison, to get mental health help

A confessed drug dealer who fled his residence while on home detention has been sentenced.

While Roy D. Randall, 23, of 713 Reed St. received a five-year sentence from Bartholomew Superior Court 1 Judge Jim Worton, the first-time offender will not be sent to prison.

Instead, Randall will serve the first three years in a strict local community corrections program that will enable him to undergo a mental health evaluation and subsequent treatment at Centerstone Behavioral Mental Health Center.

During the next three years, as well as the following two years of probation, Randall must comply with a treatment plan and take prescribed medication — or risk being sent to prison, Worton ordered.

While using the alias Roy Roberts, Randall was under police surveillance when he twice sold a gram of methamphetamine in exchange for $100, according to a probable-cause affidavit.

Both buys took place outside a residence a few blocks south of Donner Park in the fall of 2014, the affidavit stated.

Since Randall did not have a prior criminal history, investigators kept him under surveillance for several months as part of an ongoing investigation.

However, a probable-cause affidavit was filed Aug. 11, 2015, resulting in his Oct. 14 arrest.

The original charges were two counts of dealing in methamphetamine, both Level 5 felonies.

While originally ordered held on $200,000 bond, Worton agreed to reduce Randall’s bond to $30,000 on Nov. 9. But as a condition for release, Randall was ordered to wear an electronic monitoring bracelet at all times.

That condition was broken in late March when the probation department reported Randall had removed the bracelet and failed to return home, court papers state.

He was arrested April 9 by the Edinburgh Police Department and later ordered held without bond.

On May 2, Randall plead guilty to dealing in methamphetamine as a Level 5 felony, which is punishable by up to six years imprisonment, as well as a maximum $10,000 fine.

But in a plea agreement, prosecutors agreed not to pursue the second dealing-in-methamphetamine charge, as well as drop all charges regarding the removal of his electronic monitoring bracelet, court papers state.

Author photo
Mark Webber is a reporter for The Republic. He can be reached at or 812-379-5636.