Orchids to …
• Brandon, Travis, Paul, Charan, Karthik and Mason for spending the day with us Thursday, chipping and supporting our folks, from DSI.
• Lea, Marc, Tony, Greg, Christina, Vinoo and Xin for spending the morning with us building friendships, from DSI.
• Amy, Tom, Alycyn, Shawntel, Kat, Brandon, Wayne, Jim, Charity, Bobbi and Barbara for the roles you played and all your help during our two days of volunteer activities, from DSI.
• our fabulous finance team for all your hard work, dedication and persistence in successfully riding the challenging financial waves for both our employees and the folks we serve, from DSI.
• United Way Volunteers who came out for Day of Caring 2016 and did such an amazing job on our shrubs and yard, from Ron and Theresa Lucas.
• Peters Plumbing for excellent speedy service, from Carol.
• Old National Bank for a yummy lunch.
• HSP volunteers in Hope dedicated to building strong youth with a whole lot of fun along the way, from a grateful grandmother.
• all who volunteered in Columbus and Bartholomew County for Day of Caring, from a Ninth Street resident.
• Barbara Smitherman for her extremely intelligent letter on gun control Friday in The Republic. Everyone on the planet should be required to read it.
• the Allen Smith Sr. family for lending someone an umbrella.
• Doug Showalter for his moving essay “Let’s Keep on Dancing.”
• Grammer Industries for the nice dinner and the tour led by Red Whittington, from Joe Dailey.
• Sydney Kiel for all the wonderful help at the Turning Point shelter.
Onions to …
• the grandpa who wanted our coach to make the other team forfeit because a 9-year-old player was late to a Little League Baseball game.
• people who complain and cry all the time, playing the victim when they’re way better off than a lot of other people.
• City Council for all the hullabaloo about pet chickens that don’t bark all night, stray into your yard, dig holes or bite you.
• those who don’t know we had to import help from Germany to put men on the moon.
• the local campground that promises complimentary W-iFi at no additional charge but continues to fail to provide it.
• the car wash that didn’t touch my windshield or dash after I paid for them to be included in my wash.
• to the letter to the editor Friday telling people they should vote Democrat, as that’s why the country is in the mess it’s in right now.
• those who don’t realize that German rocket engineers played a large role in getting the U.S. to the moon.
• event planners for not giving any advice on downtown parking Saturday.
• people who choose charities as recipients and don’t write personal thank-you notes for donations.
• the fast-food restaurant for raising the price of a large coffee.
• the restaurant downtown that can’t pay its monthly bills like other restaurants.
• people who have pit bulls that aren’t fenced in and get loose and terrorize the neighborhood. If chickens that don’t hurt people are going to be illegal, dangerous pit bulls should be, too.
Happy Birthday to …
• Stephen Dishinger, from Pastor Carl and The OutReach.
• Nikki Jones, from Bethel Baptist Church.
• John Weddle, from Pastor Lewis and the Who So Ever Will Community Church.
• Ethyn States, on No. 18, from Dad and Mom, Uncle Greg, Hayden, Adyson and Grandma and Grandpa States.
• Preston Hensley from Mammy and Pappy.
• Ruth Ann Hollin from Betty.
Happy Anniversary to …
• Adam and Leah Crouse on No. 6, from Claire, Noah, Dad, Mom and your family and friends.
• Rick and Teresa Brown, from Mom.