A report of a possible fire at Bed Bath & Beyond turned out to be a possible damaged roof-top air conditioning unit.

Columbus firefighters were sent to the store, 1125 National Road, in the Clifty Crossing Shopping Center at 1 p.m. about the smell of smoke in the building.

Five employees and about 10 customers had evacuated, said Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman. Firefighters began an investigation about whether the store had been struck by lightning.

The store’s alarm system indicated the building’s heating and air conditioning system was the source and firefighters then found the damage to the air conditioning unit. Power was disconnected to the unit and store employees made arrangements for it to be repaired.

The store reopened and no injuries were reported.

For more on this story, see Friday’s Republic.