Orchids to …
• Gina and the home improvement staff at Lowe’s for excellent customer service, from Vickie.
• Jim Sweeney for his accurate letter regarding the Endangered Species Act.
• the Columbus Salvation Army Corps for sponsoring two awesome food trucks.
• Stanley Steemer for excellent service, from the Bovas.
• Susan Vass, Tom Harpring and Walmart for donating bingo prizes to DSI’s adult overnight camp, from the DSI camp staff.
• AA Nails in Taylorsville and the nice people who work there for the most amazing, best ever manicure.
• the management at the convenience store on 17th and Central who allows the old guy to make a little extra spending money by playing his violin for passersby.
• the city and the men who did a great job fixing my pothole on Timbercrest Drive on Wednesday.
Onions to …
• elected politicians who decline to attend town hall meetings to answer questions from their constituents.
• those who refuse to acknowledge that drug addiction is a personal, moral issue rather than an availability issue — exactly the same as alcohol abuse.
• those who do not want to be told what to do by the government, and then tell others what they should and shouldn’t do.
• the news media which, by constantly sensationalizing the drug abuse issues of a few, is causing tremendous harm to patients legitimately under a doctor’s supervision for treatment for severe pain.
• everyone who forgets that when the rich wage war, it’s the poor who die.
• the company that controls prices to benefit only themselves and has no regard for the people who can’t afford those prices.
• the city that does not enforce muffler laws.
• the condominium association that made everyone change an exterior paint color instead of requiring one house to be repainted the correct color.
• the person who submitted the Onion about the Spanish sign at the Courthouse because it was a simple mistake as we speak English in America.
Happy Birthday to …
• Shirley Harrison and Bob Hogue, from Whosoever Will Church.
• Becky Calvert, from Bethel Baptist Church.
• Marcia Starks, from your family and Donna.
• Venice Jones, from your friends, family and Donna.
• Donna Miller.
• Leanna Harker, Judena Patton, Dianne Flack and John Carr, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Bob Brown, my wonderful husband and friend, from Anita.
• Ron Placek, from Cheryl, Solomon, Cedric, Naomi, Pam, your children and all your grandchildren.
Happy Anniversary to …
• Brenda and Joe Pitts, from your family and Donna.