Orchids to …
• Kyle and Nick at Chevrolet of Columbus for searching and finding us the vehicle we wanted, working with us and for great customer service.
• Residents Encounter Christ volunteers for the wonderful weekend at the Bartholomew County Jail, from Christopher Riddle.
• Vickie at Country Chevrolet in North Vernon for the best-in-class customer service.
• Coach Joe Martinez, Northside Middle School, for a great wrestling season.
• our neighbor Roy Cross for all the wonderful help over the years.
• to Arnold Krause for his spot-on letter.
• Taylor at voter registration for being so kind and helpful on the phone to this sometimes-confused person, from Eileen.
• Arnold Krause for your spot-on letter to the editor about the real truth of mental health problems and not guns.
• the nice woman at Columbus Optical on Wednesday who took time to fix my glasses at no charge.
• The Republic’s editorial board for courageous and an informative editorial “Enough” in Sunday’s paper, and advocating for common-sense gun legislation, from Bartholomew County Indivisible.
Onions to …
• the driver who disregarded a red stoplight at least 10 seconds after it had turned red.
• people who don’t realize that daylight saving time saves neither daylight nor energy, and is generally just a waste of time.
• gun-culture supporters for scapegoating the mentally ill, who commit only 4 percent of mass shootings, because exposure to domestic violence coupled with psychotropic pharmaceuticals account for 57 percent.
• the employee who eats lunch on the clock and then takes an entire lunch break afterward.
• school officials for an excessive suspension of a good teacher, because anyone can make an accidental mistake that did no harm.
• city leaders for continuing to waste taxpayers’ money on the Riverfront project that will be meaningless to residents and visitors, especially when the river floods.
• the person who stole the power washer out of the barn in broad daylight in Petersville.
• government leaders for allowing a democracy to slide down the drain, because many thousands of soldiers died for this democracy.
Happy Birthday to …
• Rosie Clayton Hess, from your family and co-workers.
• Barry Medaris on No. 50, from Tonia, Reagan and Sophie.
• Peyton Meier, from Grandma, Grandpa, Erin and Kieran.
• Allie Hall, from Mrs. Erickson.
• Jadynn Cox on your eighth birthday, from Mommy, Daddy, Grandma, Teigan and Kamryn.
• Don Weddle Jr., from his family.
• Barbara Johnson, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Todd Acton.
• Jim Hamilton, from friends at the Moravian Church.
Happy Birthday to …
• Todd Meier, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Thomas Zeller, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Matthew Zeller, from friends at the Moravian Church.