Orchids to …
• the Bartholomew County Council members who are standing strong against the tax increase, from a grateful, fixed-income taxpayer.
• the young man who changed my flat tire Tuesday evening on U.S. 31, from a Hope resident.
• Dustin Renner for your excellent letter Sunday about tax increases, from a fixed-income taxpayer.
• Greg and Sarah Boyd for helping my daughter, her boyfriend and their baby when they were stranded at a grocery store on Tuesday, from Lisa Fields.
• Tommi Stowers for the delicious smoothies, from Lily and Grandma.
• Cheryl, Jess, Kathy, Dawn, Cindy and Dr. Shedd for making what could have been an unpleasant experience very tolerable, from Stuart.
• the 1970 Columbus High School class reunion committee for planning and hosting three great events this last weekend for the 1970 alumni.
• Jessica, Kerri, Amanda, and Dr. Julie Byers of North Park Dentistry for your gentle kindness and no lecture at my Tuesday cleaning and assessment, thus fulfilling your mission statement, from your new patient who had not been to a dentist in 25 years.
• Chris from Animal Control for taking care of the skunk at our house, from Shannon Davis.
• the Onion writer who said it like it is about the manipulation of gas prices in Columbus.
• those who realize the market selling price for gasoline is affected by other factors in addition to the most recent price paid to purchase it.
• all of the wonderful people of Columbus who keep me entertained with your hilarious Onions.
Onions to …
• those who are still complaining about the pink newspaper because I see no need to continue.
• those who put people down who are on welfare without fully knowing what their situations are.
• the driver who was in such a hurry Tuesday afternoon on Rocky Ford, nearly side-swiping me while attempting to pass on the left when I was making a left turn with my turn signal on.
• those who complain about people who complain about pink newspaper complainers and the one who complained about my complaint.
• the driver who turned on a red light even though there was a sign saying “No turn on red” Monday afternoon turning onto Washington street.
• the elected official who keeps beating a dead horse by advocating for the local option income tax.
• county council members who have blindly adopted a no-new-taxes stance in the face of overwhelming evidence that taxes must increase.
• the elected officials who declined to have an energy audit completed on county government buildings that would have resulted in an estimated 20 percent reduction in spending.
• cold, unfriendly churches who have a locked-door policy during the day.
• Individuals asking for a handout when they could go out and get a job instead.
• so many large pickup trucks in town belonging to handicapped drivers.
• officials advocating tax increases that impact people living on Social Security or disability who cannot afford higher taxes.
• the town that has become so consumed with architecture and tourism and yet does so little for the homeless.
• ex-husbands who blame their unhappiness on ex-wives, not realizing they create their own unhappiness.
• the septic service truck which does not meet emission-control laws.
• the city, state and federal government for never having enough of our money.
Happy Birthday to …
• Curt Meyer
• Sherrie Teltoe, from Maryka, Jake, Madie, Mason, Tana, Joel, Amee, Brian, Katie, Hannah, Chris and Mike.
• Autumn Chastain, from Joseph Hart Chapter DAR.
• Freda Snyder, a wonderful mother, grandmother and friend, from your family.
• Diane Tobias, from Bethel Baptist Church.
• Shirley Russell, from Bethel Baptist Church.
• Cody Hege, from friends at the Moravian Church and Grandma Hege.
• Amy Keller, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• Nena Robertson.
• Davis Cole.
• Marjorie Turner, from Brother Kenny Lee and Sixth Street Baptist Church.
• Gary Beatty, from Pat and Mike.
• Rob Valek, from your family.
• Jayden R. Manley on No. 5, from Mom and the Dinsmore family.
Belated Wishes to …
• Dirk Hunter, from Mom and family.
Happy Anniversary to …
• Bob and Sandra Gilliland, from friends at the Moravian Church.
• ANOTHER beautiful morning