Columbus police arrested a local man on drug-related charges after officers saw him driving a moped with a small child as a passenger.
About 2:50 p.m. Friday, officer Wesley Dodge saw Kevin J. McCarty, 41, 2910 14th St., near 25th and California streets in Columbus, said Lt. Matt Harris, Columbus Police Department spokesman.
Dodge noted that McCarty had warrants for his arrest and located him hiding behind a trash receptacle a short time later, Harris said.
When McCarty was arrested, police found a BB gun, as well as narcotics, syringes and drug paraphernalia in his backpack, Harris said.
McCarty was arrested on charges of:
- Neglect of a dependent
- Possession of a legend drug-injection device
- Possession of methamphetamine
- Possession of cocaine/narcotic drug
- Possession of drug paraphernalia
- Driving while suspended with a prior conviction
- Two Bartholomew County warrants
McCarty is being held in the Bartholomew County Jail in lieu of $52,500 bond, jail officials said.