Woman, 86, escapes kitchen fire

A smoke alarm activation provided early warning, allowing a Columbus woman to safely escape her California Street home following an accidental cooking fire.

Columbus firefighters were called to 812 California St. at about 8:35 p.m. Thursday, according to a news release. They found a single-story residence with smoke coming from the interior of the home.

Firefighters entering the home and spotted fire between an electric range and a refrigerator, the release said. It was quickly extinguished with a minimal amount of water.

Homeowner Jeannine Lear, 86, who was preparing to cook food on the stove top and had gone to another area of the home, was not injured.

See Saturday’s Republic for more details.