Mobile home fire destroys structure, family dog dies

COLUMBUS, Ind. — A family who lived in a mobile home in the 2900 block of Scotland Drive was displaced when fire consumed the interior of the structure and resulted in the death of their dog.

The cause of the fire at 2964 Scotland Drive at 7:58 p.m. Wednesday is under investigation, according to Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Fire Department spokesman. It is located in Candlelight Village Mobile Home Park.

Four adults who resided there were not in the home when the fire was discovered and said they were unsure what could have caused it, Wilson said.

When firefighters were sent to the mobile home park, there were told there were no individuals inside the mobile home, but the dog was inside. Upon arrival, firefighters found flames shooting from a window at the rear of the home and┬áheavy dark smoke pushing out of the home’s front door.

Firefighters quickly prepared for an interior fire attack and pushed inside the smoke filled residence where they found heavy fire conditions with limited visibility. Firefighters brought the fire under control within a few minutes of their arrival on the scene. As crews conducted a search of the interior, firefighters located a lifeless dog and quickly removed the pet outside of the home to the front lawn. Despite resuscitation measures from firefighters and medical personnel with the Columbus Regional Health Ambulance Service, the dog perished.

According to the homeowner, all four adults were working on projects outside of the home when they heard a “pop” sound. Unsure as to the source of the sound, they soon saw smoke coming from the mobile home. One of the adults reported that he tried to enter the home, but the smoke conditions were too extreme and the man was forced to retreat to the exterior. According to the homeowner, the room where the fire was most intense was a bedroom that was being used as a storage area and not used as a sleeping room. According to the homeowner, that room was also housed the heating and cooling system for the residence.

Damage to the home was extensive and firefighters consider the home a total loss. No working smoke alarms were found within the home. As a result of the fire, the four occupants will be displaced. According to the homeowner, lodging arrangements for the occupants has been secured.

Agencies that assisted at the scene include the Columbus Police Department, Columbus Regional Health Emergency Medical Services, Duke Energy, CenterPoint Energy and Columbus Animal Care Services.

The Columbus Fire Department would like to remind the community on the importance of working smoke alarms in the home. Working smoke alarms save lives and provide early detection of smoke and fire which allows occupants the precious time needed to safely escape a fire in the home. A working smoke alarm should be installed on each floor of the home and in or near sleeping rooms. Smoke alarm batteries should be replaced at least once each year and alarms should be tested weekly to ensure the alarm functions appropriately.

The Columbus Fire Department can provide assistance to residents with the installation of working smoke alarm. For more information on the Columbus Fire Department Smoke Alarm Program, contact the department at (812) 376-2679.